Spellcaster Studios

Make it happen…

Category Archives: Grey

Summoning system

I’ve finally put in the game the summoning system as a whole… It still needs some work (specially the effect, but I’ll leave that to the polish phase), but the system itself is 100% functional now! Had to add a dissolve shader so I could fade in/out “solid” objects (instead of using alpha values)… It […]

More Lua

Well, if you’ve been following this blog, you already know that I use Lua to script everything in the game… it’s a great language, but sometimes it has its quirks… I spend the last couple of days trying to solve an issue that arose when I lifeshaped exactly 10 imps to life… the 10th one […]

Effect systems, revisited

This last week I’ve been spending my free time working on the effect system, again… I remembered that I have the need to parameterize effects (for example, cast effects must take parameters like the target position or the cast time), and for that I had to refactor the whole thing yet again… Good news: I […]

New UI system

In the last weeks, I’ve been working on and off in my new UI system… It’s about the 100th time I try to make an UI system for a game, since I always end up with a system that I don’t like… First of all, I hate UI work, it’s simply not fun… Second, I’m […]

Vacations, yay!

After a couple of weeks of pure chaos, it’s time for some vacation time, and hopefully, some “Grey”-time, we were able to get a place from a vancouver realtor and now we are extremly excited! Since last time, there wasn’t much work done on Grey, since I was very busy with RealJob™. Mainly, I just […]

Better lighting

This weekend I’ve worked a lot on the lighting system of Grey… As I said in previous entries, I’ve decided to add gamma correction into the engine… Simply put, the colors we see on the screen are not linear (due in part to old technology that couldn’t do linear intensities, and now because we want […]

New Grey

Well, lately most development has been focused on the groundwork to get the UI system on the SurgePlayer working properly, which is progressing nicely… I’ll delve more into it on a future post, when the system is done and up and running in the game. In the meantime, among a lot of fixing some components […]

Bone system refactoring

I had one of those “I’m just changing this, it will have no impact…” moments which I deeply regretted some two weeks later… I decided I wanted to change the XML format of the editor file slightly, to improve loading speeds and to make the hot-swap of resources simpler… in the process, I decided that […]

Z is for Zombie…

Our artist is hard at work making new assets again, which means we have pictures! This is still work in progress… This is the zombie enemy, which comes in a variety of flavors, from the one that explodes to the one that’s only a torso! Most of this work was done on a modeling tool, […]